Thursday, September 26, 2013

Simchat Torah: Endings and New Beginnings

This week I am thinking about Torah Readings and customs. At my Consecration and at my Daughter's we both received miniature Torah Scrolls. Today we took them out on the eve of this wonderful Holiday. I carefully opened my scroll to the last paragraph of the Torah, V'Zot HaBerachah, at the end of Deuteronomy(33:1-34:12) and read that section and using my Daughter's Torah read the first part of Genesis (1:1-2:3).  It is well known that by Jewish custom following an ending a new beginning should follow. On Sunday, I know the kids at our Temple will dance around the Sanctuary with their flags and sing, much as many adults will this time tomorrow night: many will also fulfill the commandment to become drunk and dance! Hopefully with designated drivers for those who will drive on Shabbos. For those of my friends still living in NY,NY I am a bit envious that they most assuredly will be dancing in the streets with their friends and fellow congregants!

The practice of dancing on this holiday is said to be traced to the 1 st century ACE. It wasn't until the end of the 14 th century that the back to back Parshat readings came into common practice. In the 15 th century children began to then tear down or burn the Sukkas on Simchat Torah. As pleasing as it is to think of my Daughter tearing down our decorations tomorrow, and saving me the task of doing so, I find it won't be necessary as our decor is made of paper and we have been having huge winds and rains so most of our Sukkah is a goner already!

With  Simchat Torah, another  new beginning has started already with the start of a new school year for our family members and with it a new cycle of Life to share stories about with our Daughter about nights under the stars in the Succot of my youth, games and songs for each holiday and namings of new cousins. Old and new, old and new. Who knew that two Parchot would create such a theme and framework for thinking about the close of one season, the start of the winter seasons and the hope of spring and new beginnings of all sorts? In the meantime to quote a famous song, " I hope you dance!"

No comments:

Post a Comment